Monday, June 17, 2013

Two years, one plate, and nine screws ago

Last Saturday was the 2 year anniversary of the start of "The Summer of My Discontent," or "The Summer of the Chair of Healing."  For the last 15+ years, the first of the Fort Lewis Triple Threat Triathlons took place on the day before Father's Day.  And on that morning, it would rain.  It didn't matter if the weather was beautiful for the 2 weeks leading up to the race; come Saturday morning, it would rain.  And two years ago, it was the same.  It was actually a hard rain, one that had me thinking about DNS'ing.  But, I decided to go ahead a race, and crashed, fracturing my clavicle.  Since then, it has been a slow road back, and I still don't have anywhere near the fitness I had going into that race and for years previous.  Whether it's my age (either chronological or endurance sport or both) or change in life priorities, coming back from that injury has not happened the way I expected. 

This year, Fort Lewis (now JBLM) change the format of their Triathlon series.  There would be no June race, so of course, last Saturday was bright, sunny, and warm.  After a busy morning, David and I got out on a bike ride.  Without Photoshopping in Mount Rainier, here's a snapshot of what I saw out on the back range:
I wouldn't change anything that has happened to me over the years.  Well, except for maybe that Saturday morning two years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment