Thursday, September 3, 2015

To be(e) or not to be(e)... yep, to bee!

I was on my bike riding outside a couple of Sundays ago for the first time in (ahem) awhile. Needless to say, I could tell that I was not in very good riding shape.  I figured I'd just get out for 90 minutes or so to shake off the cobwebs.  Most of the ride was uneventful until about 6-7 miles left.  I was JRA minding my own business when:  "Owww!"  There was a sharp stinging sensation on my left lower thigh.  I initially thought that my shorts had snagged for some reason, but when the stinging persisted, I looked down and saw a little red spot.  I figured that I had been stung by a bee and continued home.  After a quick shower, we headed off to the Mariners' game.  Over the course of the game, my thigh continued to hurt and became more swollen and red.  I figured that I had just gotten a pretty good local reaction, although, since I don't usually get local reactions, I started to wonder if I was developing a cellulitis (skin infection).  When I awoke the next day, my leg was more swollen, red, and warm.  It wasn't too painful, though, so I just went on with my day, playing golf with Tracy, Richard, and Sue as planned.  By the end of 9 holes, it was worsening, and I realized that it probably was infected.   I ended up starting on antibiotics and it has improved a lot.

So, here I am 2 days before the second and, most likely, last race of my season.  My leg is not entirely back to normal, although it feels much better.  There is still some tightness in my lower thigh.  I don't feel completely normal, as I am still finishing up the antibiotics.  Should I race?  I elected not to race last weekend, as my leg was definitely not feeling great and the weather was supposed to be terrible.  As it turned out, that decision was the correct one, as the race (JBLM's Deuces Wild Triathlon) was cancelled partway through the race due to high winds and a tree falling in transition, injuring several people. 

While I am not 100%, I do think that I will race.  Why?  I've only raced one other time this year, but I'm not in very good shape.  And yet, I feel compelled to race, as a way of saying thank you and perhaps, good bye to my sponsors.  I also want to support the race (Bonney Lake's Labor of Love Triathlon) and the race director, BuDu Racing.

I think that this is the last season that I will be racing under the Hammer Nutrition and Rudy Project banners.  They have been incredibly great sponsors for me for (I think) the past 10 years.  Over the past several years, my racing and interest have both waned, due to a combination of change in life focus and increase in time commitments at home.  While I could still apply for sponsorship this fall, and probably continue with them, I don't feel that I am giving them the attention that they deserve, nor am I representing them as fully as I'd like. 

What's my goal for Saturday?  I hope to race well and finish with a smile on my face.  Is it my last race?  Probably not.  But if it is, I have enjoyed the competition and camaraderie with friends and fellow competitors.  And I thank Hammer Nutrition and Rudy Project for their support over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment