Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Just an 800

I had a fun swim yesterday.  I'm swimming with David's swim team, and the coach creatively designs an individual workout for me.  I'm still convinced that my swim coaches, past and present, set up IM and butterfly sets for me just for their amusement.  I don't do butterfly... it's more of a bumblebee (if a bumblebee is not supposed to be able to fly due to its aerodynamics...).  Anyway, after a 10 x 100 IM set, I had to sprint kick 25's.  Now, the term "sprint kick" is an oxymoron in my world.  And I was going to ask if I could use fins, but decided against it, since I knew the answer would be laughter and a "No."  But I was actually excited that I was able to sprint kick a 25 between 22-25 seconds.  Before any of you belittle that time, you have to understand that I was barely able to get forward propulsion when I first started kicking back when I was just starting to swim for triathlons. 

So after doing a set of 25's my legs were a bit thrashed.  And then the last part?  Ashley said, "One last thing before you get out of the pool:  swim an 800."  Excuse me?  I repeated that as a question.  And yup, that was the answer.  And so back and forth I went.  And you know what?  It didn't kill me; the lifeguards didn't have to save me; and I got it done.  As I was finishing the last few laps, I thought that something like that is really good for me.  Considering that a sprint tri is usually a 1/2 mile swim, it made me realize that I SHOULD be swimming faster during a race.  After all, if I can swim an 800 at the end of a workout, swimming hard during a triathlon should be reasonable. 

The funniest part of this was when I told my family about my workout while we were eating dinner.  I guess some of David's teammates were complaining about having to finish their workout with 4 x 100.  His response:  "Would you rather do this or would you rather do what my Dad is doing?  He has to swim an 800."  I guess I might have earned a little bit of respect from his team yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment