Thursday, November 15, 2012

I don't need a GPS; I need a sun dial

Well, there have been some interesting workouts lately that have me questioning the utility of all my high-tech gee whiz gadgets.  First, I had to swim a 200 IM for time.  Yep, that would be 3 out of 4 strokes that I don't do very well.  I only got lapped once by a 13 year old.  And David didn't really laugh at me when I finished... much.  My second workout was my 5K time trial to establish my baseline workout times.  This goes back to the Run Less, Run Faster protocol that I'm trying to follow.  And it also goes to the Endurance Nation Outseason workouts.  Both want 5K, although RLRF says that I can use 3 x 1600 with 1 minute rest (on the track).  While I would have much preferred the 3 x 1600, I decided to time trial as I thought  it would be a more accurate gauge.  So last Saturday afternoon, I sucked it up and headed out.  It was cool but sunny.  I chose the flattest 5K out of a run to Fort Steilacoom park and back.  This included nearly 1 mile of flat, paved, almost completely straight bike path that I ran out and back as well as some flat sidewalk before and after.  I didn't even look at my Garmin, because I didn't want to know.  When I got home and downloaded it, the truth was ugly.  21:13 for 5K, which comes out to 6:50/mile.  If you would have told me even 5 years ago that I'd be working so hard to run so slow, I would have never believed you.  And if you would have told me 20 years ago that I would ever be this slow, well...

I guess I have nowhere to go but up.  Because I can't get any slower... can I?!

No comments:

Post a Comment