Monday, March 18, 2013

Why do I run?

Not quite like Forrest Gump, but a long time ago, in a cornfield far, far away, I started running.  It has been a bit over 33 years ago that I started running for the sake of running.  Before that, it was strictly to get into shape for basketball, and I couldn't see why you just ran.  Of course, going back even farther in time, my Dad decided to wake up and jog around the block back when I was about 7 or 8.  He would wake up my sister and me, and we'd accompany him on a run a short run.  Even back then, I wasn't a morning person, so my morning runs were (and still are) painful.

I decided to go for a run yesterday afternoon.  It wasn't raining, but was a bit chilly.  Instead of trying to do a "workout," I just decided to go for a run:  no intervals, no tempo, just run.  And to change things up a bit, I decided to run along the water.  The sun was even out, although it was a bit chilly.  As I ran along the water, I looked around and remembered why I still love to run and ride.  The days of competitive racing may end, but the pure enjoyment of being out and moving along using my own body to propel myself will continue.  And yesterday, there were no distractions:  no headphones, only an occasional car, and even my legs and feet were cooperating.  And then I looked up and saw the eagle.  It was soaring above me, effortlessly moving along on the wind.  For a moment, it was just the eagle, the water, the sunshine, and me.   And that's why I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment