Friday, April 19, 2013

Who is this Catty Wampus guy and what did he do to my hip?

Recently, I've been seeing a chiropractor for my left hip.  What happened?  Well, it goes back to my fall during the Turkey Trot.  Since then, after initially taking a week off from running due to hip pain, I have noticed that my left hip flexor tightens up after running at around 5 miles.  There is also some compensatory tightness in my left low back that occurs at the same time.  Finally, I decided to get some work done on it, because it wasn't getting better.  Dr. Adamson confirmed that my hip flexors were all messed up, even mentioning that it felt as if I had torn some muscle tissue.  I haven't been running well since that time, so it would make sense that I'm trying to compensate for injury. 

The funniest thing is that my left leg feels "tight" after I run, as if it is jammed up and would feel better if someone yanked on it. Well, guess what?  At my last visit, Dr. Adamson said, "You know, I think the muscles are causing you to have a leg length discrepancy; here, I'm going to distract your leg," grabbed my leg and, yes, yanked.  And you know what?  It felt better.  I started laughing.

Yesterday, I ran 6.5 miles without significant pain, although I could feel my hip tightening up a bit at 4 miles.  The good part is that, as I kept running, it seemed to let up a bit and I finished my run without pain or tightness.  Looks like progress is being made.

I'm hoping that, if my left hip improves, I'll be able to feel better while running, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to run another marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment