Friday, September 13, 2013

I'm not like the princess and the pea... really!

Today's entry is actually an update of an entry from May 2012... and that is a column that I originally wrote several years ago. As you can see, I have continued to update it.  The entire piece is long, but somewhat amusing, and I'm sure many others have been through the same thing I've been going through.  So, without further ado, here's the continuation of my May 2012 entry, "Riding shouldn't be a pain in the butt":

Update December 2012:  After playing around with where to sit on the V-Flow Plus, I did find the sweet spot.  It is actually nearly at the tip, but I found that I can sit there for an extended period of time without difficulty.  When I realized where the sweet spot was for me, I ended up moving the saddle back about ¾ cm.  That helped to keep me from banging my knees on my elbows.  I think the quest is finally over.

Update May 2013:  And nope.  The sweet spot for the V-Flow Plus was further back from the nose.  And being a career nose rider, it just feels strange to me.  So, I went back and tried the Adamo again, buying a used Time Trial on Slowtwitch.  It is shoved back, but I’ve found that it puts me in a better position from a feel standpoint.  I end up near the front, but don’t feel like I’m falling off.  Of course, where I sit on the prongs will take some getting used to, as has been suggested.  But while the Time Trial is a “firm” saddle, I don’t mind it, and even found a comfortable spot on it this AM while riding.  Again, I may need a bit more playing around to try and find the optimum spot.  In looking at my comments on the Breakaway, it was comfortable, but felt too wide.  I think by moving the Time Trial further back, the wideness issue has been alleviated.  And the idea that you are sitting on an Adamo in much the same way you perch on the edge of a bench or ledge is a good visual.

So, I think the Adamo is a “go.”  After a few trainer rides, it seems to work pretty well.  I haven’t been uncomfortable at all, and, in fact, feel pretty good on the trainer.  I guess I’ll need to road-test it to make sure it works, but I like the fact that I feel like I’m sitting “on the rivet,” which is how I’ve ridden for years on a tri-bike.  However, there isn’t any pressure and no numbness.  I’ll have to get a look at my position in a photo.

Update September 2013:  I think I’ve found it… finally.  After spending the season on the Adamo Time Trial, I didn’t think it was the answer.  I decided to try the Specialized Sitero, a new time trial/triathlon-specific saddle.  After every ride on the Time Trial, I felt like there were sore areas that shouldn’t have been there, still feeling that it was too wide.  After a couple of short rides on the Sitero, I definitely don’t have the same soreness, and it certainly feels the best of any saddle that I’ve tried to date.  More time will be spent this winter to see if it’s the right one for me.  And reportedly, the studies done by Specialized showed that blood flow to the perineal area was better with this saddle than another other saddle, including the Adamos.   Interestingly, since I first wrote this, Adamo increased the number of their saddles, mostly to include time trial/triathlon-specific saddles, Cobb came out with their Gen2, Specialized came out with their Sitero, Bontrager came out with their adjustable Hilo, and Fi`zi:k and Shimano have released pictures of their new time trial/triathlon saddles, which will be available in the winter.  It’s funny how there has been an explosion of saddles for triathletes, who are all trying to find the saddle that will allow them to ride in an aggressive position without being punished for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment