Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11th

I purposely try to stay on track, rambling (mostly in a lighthearted manner) about my athletic life in this blog.  There's enough to stress on and be serious about that I use this as a way to take life (and myself) a little bit less seriously.  Today, though, I'm going to step outside my box and onto my soapbox.  You can elect to read onwards, or skip today's entry 

On a terrible day 12 years ago, our lives, and the world for that matter, were forever changed.  Most of you can remember where you were when you heard the news about the terrorist attacks.  I was in my car, headed to work via North Fort Lewis and there was a back up on North Gate Road all the way to the T-intersection of Steilacoom-Dupont Highway.  There was a lockdown and ID's were being checked at the gate, which was first time this had happened since the first Gulf War.  I was in line about halfway down North Gate Road when the reports that the first tower had fallen came out.  I also remember being parked on I-5 listening to the reports.  It took me over 3 hours to get to work, and I was one of the few in my clinic that actually made it to work.  We spent most of the day, staring at the TV, watching the video feeds over and over.  I remember walking around in a daze for much of the day.

On September 11, I think it is important to reflect on that day and on where we live and what we stand for.  What caused me to write today's entry was a Facebook entry from someone who apparently "can't handle" all the public stuff that goes on every year.  Well... deal with it!  Or choose another country to live in, one that probably does not have all the freedoms with which we are endowed in this country.  Yes, other countries have been violated in their past, but we live in a country that is regarded in a different manner than any other country in the world.

The thing that, well, pisses me off, is the attitude of entitlement that permeates some in our country.  We live the way we live because of sacrifices that a small portion of our population makes.  And yes, we recognize the armed forces on certain days of the year, and the rest of the year, much of what is done by them is below our consciousness.  Okay, maybe I'm more sensitive to this, because I am a Veteran, and I work in an institution that is part of the armed forces, and I have had friends and acquaintances that are or were on Active Duty.  They have made sacrifices, from missing their children's first birthday and not being able to be there as a parent or spouse, to injuries which will last a lifetime.  When you speak with someone who has been deployed, invariably they will make light of the situation, focusing on the lighthearted moments that occurred.  What they won't or don't do is dwell on the negatives. 

This September 11th is nearly over; I hope that this date will always be in the public eye and we never forget.

I am off of my soapbox now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment