Monday, June 11, 2012

MacGyver Units

I'm trying out new software (Trainerroad.com) to work with my Computrainer.  I'm not completely sold on it, but it's not bad.  While I was using our old desktop to run my CT, I would need to bring in my laptop if I wanted a distraction.  The new software didn't work very well on the desktop, so I loaded it onto the laptop.  Then I plugged the monitor into the laptop, so I had a bigger screen.  Worked pretty well last week, so I tried to add Netflix to it this AM.  One of the pluses that the software has is that you can run it while watching streaming video on the same screen (vs. two different screens which is what I was doing previously).  I had gotten into the habit of watching MacGyver while training, so that's what I did this AM.  Since each episode is about 40 minutes long, my workout lasted 1.5 MacGyver units today.

Why do I like MacGyver?  There's always some action, always some humor, and MacGyver always manages to creatively figure out a solution to a problem.  Plus, it's pretty cheesy.  Previously, I did a lot of my AM riding while listening to the news or my iPod.  When I was using the CT software, I could stare at the Spin Scan and be mesmerized by it, all the while listening to the news; however, the news kind of repeats itself.  In an hour, you hear about the top news stories, the traffic, and the weather several times.  With the new software, since there really isn't much to watch, the news isn't enough of a distraction.

The good part about the software is that you can't cheat and it's brainless.  No matter what gear you're in, the wattage (resistance) remains constant.  And you simply enter in the program you want, and the resistance changes as the stage changes.  So, today's 2 x 20 with 5 minute recovery was non-thinking.  The bad part (to me) is that the wattage remains constant, no matter what gear you're in.  So, while I could previously adjust wattage by changing gearing and cadence, I don't have that option with the new software.  Is that good or bad?  I guess it depends on your perspective.  I like the idea that you can't cheat.  But I like the idea that by manipulating gearing and cadence, I can keep wattage constant while allowing my body to react in different ways, similar to a race situation.  Knowing that 53 x 16 at 90 RPM and 53 x 15 at 85 RPM are similar wattages (and are right at threshold for me) is helpful information when I'm racing. 

I'll probably use a combination of both of them for a little while longer, and then see if I want to keep the Trainerroad subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment