Friday, June 15, 2012

Working hard... running slow

I stepped out on the track yesterday for an interval workout.  I've been trying to follow the Run Less, Run Faster program that was started by the FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) at Furman University and popularized by Runner's World.  Basically, it boils down to 3 key workouts/week, which is really all that most running programs have.  What it does is takes out the filler miles, and replaces them with 2 cross-training workouts/week, so a total of 5 workouts/week.  Figuring that running 3 times/week would fit perfectly into a triathlete's schedule, I thought that the program would work well.  I was cautioned by Dave that the workouts are hard.  And I've learned that they are hard.  Not toss-your-cookies hard, but just up to that point.   I've always kept in the back of my mind that as long as I did an interval workout, tempo, and long run each week, I'd get faster, and at worst, maintain. 

Last week, I ran 400's.  It had been several years since I'd run anything that fast, and it showed.  Yesterday, I ran 800's.  It has been awhile since I tried to run 800's fast, and, again, it showed.  I was also trying out some new racing flats, which I found I really liked:  the Saucony Type A5's.

No comments:

Post a Comment