Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First open water swim of the season

Last Sunday, I went and jumped in a lake.  Actually, it was more of a dip the toes in to see how cold it was, and then gradually ease my way in.  But nonetheless, I swam.  It was a nice sunny morning, which definitely helped my attitude.  And I took David along for his first swim in a wetsuit.  Since it was also my first swim in my new wetsuit (thanks, Bruce!), it was a morning of firsts.  The water in Lake Louise was not too cold, probably low-mid 60's, certainly not cold enough for a neoprene cap, and, although we double-capped, not even bad enough to warrant double-capping. 

I had forgotten how nice it was to swim in open water.  After making sure we didn't see any toxic algae or signs warning about toxic algae, we did a loop around the lake.  I was expecting David to be motoring along, but he was (in his words) "creeped out by not being able to see the bottom or see in front very far."  And I don't think he's used to swimming continuously like that.  The sunshine on black neoprene was a good thing, as I never felt cold, and neither my hands nor my feet went numb.

I have no idea whether I was swimming fast or not, but it felt good to be all stretched out like that.  And I definitely like the feel of my new Xterra Vendetta.  This weekend, we'll see how it translates in a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment