Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Youth is wasted on the young

Last Thursday, I swam with David's team.  Technically, it's also my team, since I'm one of the two Masters.  However, since everyone else is between 8-15 years old, I refer to them as David's team.  Anyway, the main set was 8 x 100 kick.  I can't kick.  That is a well-known fact.  Everyone who has swam with me knows this. 

After 18 x 50 back/breast, we were supposed to do a hard kick set on 4:00.  My times were all around 2:10-2:15.  Most of the kids were in the 1:40-1:50 range.  It's a good thing I check my ego at the door when I swim with the kids, since Sabrina, a 12 year-old girl, had 30 seconds on me per 100. 

Over the weekend, the weather was awesome.  We had a nice Saturday ride.  I took David along, and he rode 30 miles.  Since he rode about 35 miles all winter, it was a pretty big day for him.  I realized after we had returned that his saddle was too low, since he's grown quite a bit since I first set up his bike.  When I measured him, it turned out his saddle was about 1" low; maybe that's why it almost looked like he was riding a circus bike.  After I dropped him off, I went off to go hard by myself for about 30 minutes.  It was great being out on my Cervelo and just hammering along.  Did I mention that I'm trying out a new saddle?  Well, I think I found the sweet spot on the saddle about halfway through, and, for a saddle, it was pretty comfortable. 

I woke up to swim this AM.  Surprisingly, after feeling really tired yesterday, I felt wide awake at 4:30 AM.  My swim was not too bad, just a shade under 3000 in 1 hour.  But I definitely feel like a fish out of water right now.  I guess I need to swim more... probably a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment