Friday, June 10, 2011

The season is here...

I just signed up for my first triathlon of the year.  The season has started and I'M NOT READY!  Already, several friends have raced, and the unofficial start of the season in the Pacific Northwest, the Blue Lake triathlon, is this weekend. 

I don't think I've ever been this unprepared for a season.  Of course, the terrible weather may have had something to do with it.  So far this year I've:  a) ridden my tri-bike outside once; b) not yet swam in a lake; c) not done any bricks.  "b" is not a major issue, I don't think.  I remember doing my first Ironman without having swam in open water prior to the race.  But at least I was well-trained for it.  This year, my swimming has been spotty, but I should be fine with it.  After all, I'm never going to win a swim Prime, so my goal is to get out with not too terrible a deficit.  "a" is a little bit more of a concern.  Not only have I not ridden my tri-bike outside, but I haven't done too much riding in general.  I wonder what the first attempt at time trialing is going to feel like; my guess is that it won't be pretty. 

I received an e-mail from a friend the other day mentioning that his training has also been less than usual, and that he suspected that motivation (or lack thereof) is playing a role.  Sounds like he has been inside my mind, too.  Hard to believe that I did my first triathlon 15 years ago.  But my lack of motivation also tells me that I've been on the merry-go-round a long time.  I'm hoping that the first race will re-energize me.  Otherwise, it's going to be a long (or very short) season.

No comments:

Post a Comment