Saturday, March 12, 2011

Raindrops keep falling on my head

Tomorrow's run was changed to today, because of life's busy-ness.  So, I decided to run to downtown Tacoma, where I would meet the family.  Part of this was to dispel the demons from my last attempted run from downtown, when I bonked so badly.  Unfortunately, yesterday's nice weather left yesterday, and I awoke to steady rain.  Figuring that I would be cold, I changed my original plan to wear shorts and put on some tights instead.  As it turned out, this was a wise decision.  I also packed my trusty Fuel Belt, which was wise decision #2.  After herding the dogs into their kennel, I headed off to T-Town.  As I ran along the water, I thought about how calm it looked; I had seen pictures of the earthquake and tsunami that had struck Japan yesterday, and was struck by the constrast.  I said a silent prayer for those that were affected by the earthquake and tsunami.  The rain was steady for the first few miles, and then it really started to pick up.  I remembered Carl Spackler's line from Caddyshack:  "I don't think the heavy stuff has started yet."  At one of the intersections, I watched the signal cycle through 3 times without giving me a "Walk" signal.  ARRGH!  A little jaywalking never hurt anyone, I guess.   As I crested the last hill out of University Place, I imagined that the amount of distance I had left was about the same as I will have when I crest the last of the Newtons hills AKA Heartbreak Hill.  That gave me a little boost of energy, as a mental image of that flashed through my mind. 

Most of my run was uneventful.  I did see Karen Ballard when I was downtown, as she was heading off to find some coffee after the St. Patty's Day Run.  She looked as wet as I did, and she was only out for a 5k!  I guess, once you reach a certain level of wetness, you're not going to get any wetter.  Although my run was a bit short at 15.3 miles, it was mission accomplished, and the demons of the last long run have been put to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment