Sunday, April 3, 2011

The final long run

My last long run was today.  After some horrible weather on Friday, yesterday was dry but windy.  I had planned to run after the SST Social Bike ride (the first one in Dupont, so as the President, I felt obligated to ride), but Ryan's 1.5 hour baseball practice became a 3.5 hour ordeal, and I was the single parent to Ryan, so I had to opt out of the run.  I planned to run 16 miles this morning, checking in on Ryan after about 1.5 hours of it.  Today was a very pleasant, although chilly day, with the sun peeking out and a moderate wind from the west (the "back" part of my out-and-back was going to be harder)

It's funny how your perspective changes as you progress along a training plan.  I figured that the first part of my run would be along Grandview and would "only" be around 11.5 miles.  I was pretty close as it came out at 11.4.  How did I figure 11.5?  I guessed that it was longer than 11 but shorter than 12, so there you go.  Because it was 11.5 miles, I only took a gel flask with some Mountain Huckleberry Hammer Gel (my favorite flavor) and planned to stop at home for a quick drink before the second part of my run.  I wasn't sure where to go for the second part of my run, but decided to run the North Fort trails. Turned out fine, although my left knee started aching as I descended Chambers Creek.  I'm not sure whether it's my IT band, or whether I did something to my lateral meniscus, but it hurts when I extend it, stand on it, or walk on it.  Great.

As I was doing my run, this is how warped my thinking has become (long runs and marathon training does that to you, I guess).  I thought, "Maybe I should keep doing two hour runs every week during the triathlon season.  It would certainly maintain my run fitness and would be easy to fit into my Sunday schedule."  A sharp stick into the eye would take less effort, and probably be just as effective.  Just kidding.  I'll have to see how I feel after the marathon.

Now, the taper starts.  I hope to get healthy and recover for the next two weeks.  15 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment