Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Relief! Finding out what IT(B) was that caused my knee pain

Yesterday was a day off from running.  It was a good thing, because my left knee was still hurting.  After trying to figure out what worsened the pain, I realized that it wasn't the menisci, since weightbearing did not worsen it.  I went to see my massage therapist to see if she could help.  Almost as soon as Amy started working on the area, she said it was my IT band. 

Guess it's a good thing that I don't make my living diagnosing myself.  After getting a lot of work on my left IT band, soleus, and hamstring (some that nearly brought me off the table-think Sigourney Weaver in "Ghostbusters"), my knee was nearly pain-free.  Yes!  Clearly, it was a direct reaction to my turned ankle.  Funny how my soleus didn't even bother me until Amy started working on it.  Of course, my right IT band was also a bit tight from my long run, too, but I was expecting that.  I'm hopeful that things will resolve by marathon day. 

In the meantime, I've ordered a foam roller to use (how many PT tools do I have at home?  Nearly enough to start my own clinic!)

No comments:

Post a Comment